Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer snacks! Avacado Dip, Kiwi Pops and Summer Strawberry Cake

Oh. Em. Gee.

I Frankenstein-ed together two recipes to make the YUMMIEST dip/guac that I have ever tasted!
Although I have no pictures (face slap...DOH!) trust me when I tell you it is yummmmmers to the max!  (Even my hunny the chef said he was going to file that recipe away for later!)

Here goes!

"A.L.R.ight Dip (Avocado, Lime, Radish Dip)"

2 Avocados chunked up
8 radishes diced
1 lime (juice and zest)
1/4-1/3 cup of cucumber diced (I really am guessing here.  I diced about 3 inches of the cucumber I had in the fridge)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (again...just ball parking....add as much or as little as you like.)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix it all together in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge for a bit so it gets all yummy!
We had it with lime tortilla chips make by a local New Brunswick company.  They were quite...intense on their own, but with the dip it was a perfect combo!


"Kewl Kiwi Pops"
 
Peel kiwis
Cut into thick slices
Find some kind of stick (kabob skewers cut in half is what I had on hand, so that's what I used) and push into the kiwi so it looks like a sucker. (Make sure to push it in really far so the kiwi doesn't fall off when you put the chocolate on.)

 Put them in the freezer while you get the chocolate coating ready.

Use a double boiler (a.k.a. a sauce pan of water with a heat resistant bowl sitting on top...just make sure the water does NOT touch the bowl, and be careful of any escaping steam!  Don't want a nasty burn!)
Melt enough chocolate to coat the kiwis.  (I used 3 squares of dark baker’s chocolate and 1 bag of white chocolate chips and mixed them together.  YUM!  But I have about 1/2 a cup left over, so I probably didn't need that much)

Take the kiwis out of the freezer and dip them in the chocolate to coat completely.  Put them back on the plate and pop them back in the freezer while you're eating supper so they have time to get nice and cool again.

ENJOY!

And finally, for a work pot-luck that we had last week, I made a nice light summery strawberry cake. 

"Summer Surprise" Cake
Prep:
I used just a basic white cake recipe, but added pink colouring to 1 of the cakes (you can choose what ever colour combo you want!). 

For the frosting I mixed together a tub of cool whip and a block of cream cheese (make sure they're at room temperature...especially the cream cheese- it just makes life so much easier). 

I also chopped up a box of local Jemseg strawberries (so delish!!!)

To put the cake together:
Alternate between colours for the cake layers
In between each layer spread a dollop of French vanilla frosting (or whatever kind you would like.  More cream cheese frosting would be good too!), and then sprinkle with pieces of chopped up strawberry.
Frost the cake with the coolwhip/cream cheese combo, and decorate as desired!

To make the little banner, I just used some foam I had left over from my pinwheel wreath.  I used my glue gun to attach it to some twine, and tied it around kebab skewers I had on hand.  Poked them into the cake and bob's your uncle!   So simple, but so super cute! (I'm on a slight bunting obsession phase right now...)

Keep the coloured layers a surprise and watch the smiles and laughs when they cut the first piece! :)



















Happy summer everyone!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment