Friday, July 15, 2011

Relay For Life

So a few weeks ago (I know...I know...I'm just getting around to posting this now...I feel like a big lazy lump.  I have been neglecting both posting and promoting this blog...I digress)

SO...a few weeks ago I had the honour of participating on a team in the Relay for Life in my city.  It was, despite the rain, a really lovely event.  It always touches close to my heart for a few reasons.  My Aunt Nan, who I loved dearly and still do, was a breast cancer surviror.  She was one of the strongest women I knew.  Sadly, she passed away, not of cancer - so she is still a survivor strong and proud in my mind. 

My favourite part of the Relay is the Luminary Ceremony.  You can purchase luminaries in memory or in honour of your loved ones.  When night falls (because the event is an all night relay usually from 7pm to 7am) candles are lit in the luminaries around the Relay track.  It is such a silent and still moment, I can't really describe it.  But if feels like everyone there is connected and there is an immense feeling of love, support, sadness, happiness...so many emotions.  It's difficult, but beautiful at the same time.  I decorated a luminary for her again this year. She was such a fashionista, I think she would have liked the red and the sparkles.


If you'll please pardon the quality of the following photos (I took them on my phone.  In the dark.  What can ya do), some shots from after the luminaries were lit.
















The following week I was so very honoured to be asked to perform at the Relay being held in the town next to mine.  It was really special to me.  There was 100% LESS rain (YAY!)  But it was pretty chilly!  I played for about 40 minutes at midnight to end off the live entertainment.  It went over really well.  And as it happens, the Boston Bruins were playing a hockey game against the Montreal Canadians that night.  A co-worker of mine was there with her young nephew.  He was, with great attention, enjoying the musical entertainment, however, before I got up to play we were discussing the score of the hockey game (Boston was winning - hurray!).  When I was playing, my co-worked told me that he informed her, in all his 4 year old seriousness, that he really liked my music, and he was going to clap for me, but he was going to clap under the blankets...because I am a Boston fan.   It was so cute I could hardly stand it!  I don't have any pictures from that night, but it has been one of my favourite performances to date!

I've also got a backlog of crafty goodness to share with you - but I'm running short on time at the moment - so they'll have to wait for the next update (which I promise won't be 6 months in the making!)




0 comments:

Post a Comment