Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Halloween Costume Spooktacular!

Happy Wednesday everyone!
Oh we're getting so close to Halloween.  I love playing dress-up!!
My brother asked for help with his Halloween costume.  My brother is just about my bff/favourite person in the whole world.  So I said yes, of course.  (Also, he was installing new closet doors for me, so I figured it was the least I could do!).
The closet doors took about 45 minutes.  From start to finish.  The costume took a million times that, but was so much fun!
I present - THE MAD HATTER! :)
His "spools of thread" sash
Sports coat from Value Village.  I added cuffs made from round doilies from the Dollar Store, furry trim fabric from Wal-Mart, and random buttons found in a "pound of buttons" bag
Close up of sleeve.  I just cut out the centre of the round doilie and hot glued it to the outside of the jacket sleve. Then sewed the furry trim over top and hot glued the buttons on.

Starting the hat!  Bristol board for the body, and thick cardboard for the top. Taped in place and hot glued to within an inch of its life!
First layer of material hot glued around the top of the had and stretched down. Hot glued in place.  Covered with more dollar store lace!  For the brim it's a large circle of heavy gauge craft wire taped together with fabric stretched over it.
Made the tag from Bristol board and burned the edges. Added a pink scarf (Dollar Store!) and some left over craft wire with buttons glued on as the "hat pins".

I don't have a picture of the finished hat.  It has since been spray painted with black, green, pewter and bronze paint to give it the same look as the Johnny Depp version.  It looks great I think!

All put together: TADAHHHH:





By the way, if you want to try, I had a LOT of help from this great video tutorial from ThreadBanger's YouTube channel!
It took a long time, but we had a blast!  My brother was a huge help too (post closet door install).
What are you dressing up as for Halloween?
I'm putting the finishing touches on my costume now, but unfortunately didn't take step by step pictures.
Will share with you once it's all done though! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment